Sunday, July 15, 2007

Sizzling Summertime

I am starting to be a believer in global warming. I think that it has been at least 95 and most of the time over 100 since the middle of June everyday. The last couple of days I have checked the temperature at 6:30 and it is still 100 degrees! And now that the humidity is higher, the cooler doesn't work as good and it just feels a bit sticky all the time. I have been working on the back patio for the last week and it is so hot working out there on the southside, even at 7:00. I just have sweat dripping from me, yuk! It is almost done and you will be impressed with how it looks. I will post a picture of it in the near future. Now on to the happenings this week.

Last Saturday, the 7th, Anna came down to visit Grandma and Grandpa for the day, so we decided to have a little party and picnic before she went back. It was fun to visit with her and celebrate the only once in a 1000 years 07/07/07 date. To make it even more memorable, the Milford Flat fire front moved in just about an hour before our picnic. The fire had started the afternoon of the 6th, and at Brooke and Dani's night game party we could see the fire to the south. It was quite smoky all day on Sat, but then about 5:00 a huge windstorm came in and the orange smoke just literally blew in as we watched. The sky was orange everywhere and darkened, it was quite creepy. We did notice a few flecks of ashes came down on our plates, but luckily, the wind had died back down for the party and it wasn't quite as smoky. There supposedly was a picture in one of the newspapers looking south down our road (2500 W), but I haven't been able to locate it, so I posted I picture I took on the 10th of the orange sun and smoke. It doesn't really show how smoky it was or the deep orange that are skies were for several days. We are glad that most of the smoke is gone now, but aren't looking forward to the dust storms that will surely come with the south winds and no vegetation on the desert to the south.



Nearly everyday Brooke and Dani swim in the tank. W are getting quite a few water toys to play with and they have a great time keeping cooled off. It is nice to have the well water going again and we can refill the tank with a clear conscience knowing it won't cost so much. Brooke is part of a summer "play group" with some friends. Once a week they meet and one of their houses and have some fun activities together. This week was at our house and so we had a lot of water activities and just some summer fun. I took lots of pictures and the next time it is at our house will we make little accordion scrapbooks. Here are a few pictures of the fun times.

Brooke and Dani on the slippin slide!
We decided this year to go to the Ute Stampede. It seems that the last several years we have had a conflict on the Thursday night when it is a little cheaper, but not this year. Abby, Gichin, Tyler and his friend also joined us and we had a great time.
They had a special recognition for the troops and I got a few photos of it. They had a sky diver land carrying a huge flag and then some troops waiting on the ground to catch it. It was pretty cool and I was so happy that I got a good picture of it! We all enjoyed the rodeo events. Everyone liked the bull riding the best except me. I quite enjoy the safe yet exciting barrel racing! At the end we enjoyed a frightening show by the rodeo clowns with a bull that was having a fun time throwing them in the air. I think it was all show, but it looked pretty scary to me.

Dani has been bugging me about getting this snorkel set at Alco and I had been putting her off thinking she wouldn't really like it or it wouldn't work (it was only $5). Finally on Friday I got it for her and she has had so much fun with it. It really works and she can swim around and around the tank several times without coming up for air.
Marcus went camping on Friday night to the sand hills with his friends. He was pretty excited and looked so happy in his very interesting attire that I just had to take a picture of him. Notice the shoes and socks. He is such a prepared camper also, I think he spent about 5 minutes getting everything ready and then he was off! They had a great time, especially getting a fire going since they forgot to take matches. Gasoline, cardboard, and spark plugs will work although there is danger of getting your thumb burned. I am gald he is back home safe and sound for the time being.
OK Jamie here is the picture I told you to look forward to. Are garden is doing well and growing fast with the hot weather. I planted 2 grape tomato plants and they have lots of blossoms and a few tomatoes coming. We were fortunate enough to pick 4 tomatoes this week from them, and let me tell you if you like small grape tomatoes you are in for a treat. Aren't these about the cutest tomatoes you have ever seen. Note: that is a starburst sitting by them, and another normal size grape tomato. Those really are tomatoes, honest.
But they sure did taste good as Brooke and Dani can testify of. Can you even see the tomatoes in their mouths? Mmmmm good!

0 comments:

 
Template by suckmylolly.com